Freewriting is an excellent activity when your mind is drawing blanks. Sometimes all you need is a word(s) to stimulate a story or memory.
Your task is to:
- Make a list of between ten and fifteen words that may or may not be related.
- Word choices might have something to do with sights, sounds, tastes, textures in your known world, or in a world that you want to create.
- Narrow the list down to seven to ten words that you feel you can incorporate in your writing.
- Write for at least ten minutes, using each word in its own sentence.
- When finished, remove all but one word, the one that calls to you.
- Write a short narrative that focuses on the feelings and images that your word inspires.
If you now have something that you can expand into a story, well, good luck!
Have fun with this one.