A good writer wants autonomous characters. That is, each character acts of their own, not as puppets that the writer controls. Characters should not be props within a story, but real beings. They have desires and knowledge. They are alive in all senses of the word. They have complex lives and intense emotions.
Your task is to imagine a character that might fit well in a story you are contemplating writing. Give her a name, age and residence. Then fill in these blanks:
- She would never consider doing/thinking/saying ________________________
- He knew this about his father, but not that _____________________________
- Her most prominent ambition is _____________________________________
- He would prefer to ___________________ over ________________________
- In terms of politics, she votes for ____________________________________
- He dislikes _________________________so intensely that he _____________
- His favorite recreational activity is ___________________________________
- Every day he drives to/buys/eats _____________________________________
- Her greatest fear is ________________________________________________
- She yearns to ____________________________________________________
Which of these appeals to you? Write a story in which at least one of these traits comes to fruition.
Have fun with this one.